Welcome to Sparks online!
PO Box 92, BROADWAY 2007 NSW Australia.
Sparks welcomes contributions in the shape of poems, cartoons, songs,
articles by transport workers. Please mail to SPARKS PO Box 92,
BROADWAY 2007 NSW Australia OR email above.
To ensure that you get your copy of sparks on time and if you'd like
to help us out, please consider subscribing to sparks by post. The
damage is $5 for a one year subscription within Australia (for overseas
rates please email for details). Please make cheques/money
orders out to "Rebel Worker" in Australian dollars. SPARKS is
published by Sydney Local of the Network for Democratic Unionism. Rebel Worker
is the bimonthly paper of the Network for Democratic Unionism: Subs are
$12 per year within Australia (for overseas rates please email for
details). Please send your sub to: SPARKS, PO Box 92, Broadway 2007
SPARKS is always looking for people within the transport industry to
distribute sparks on the shop floor. Please write or email for details.
Democratic unionism means grass roots controlled unionism. This is as opposed to
trade unionism. We advocate all workers in one industry be in one union so as to remove
artificial divisions amongst workers. Such a union must be fully
organised and controlled by the membership. To achieve this we want a
union organised along the following lines:-
What is Democratic Unionism?
1. That no person employed by the union can earn more than the average
income of the membership;
2. That spokespeople have no executive power - all decisions are made
by the membership affected;
3. Spokespeople are only to act as delegates elected. The membership
to carry out decisions made by the membership;
4. That a mechanism be instituted for the instant recall of spokespeople
/delegates who break the above rules.
5. That all positions within the union be held as a limited tenure, ie.
two years (unless no one else stands).
6. There is no body of full time paid officials. All loss of earnings
are to be paid by the union to the extent of the lost wages.
7. That a programme of decentralised decision making be implemented
within the union structure, so that we won't need full time
Only in this way can we see a democratic united, fighting organisation
be created which will stand up for the rights of workers and their
families against all governments, political parties and all bosses.